Doc Stevens and His Guitars and Equipment - Part 10 - Doc's "No Name" Acoustic Guitar

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:38 PM Posted by Tondeleo Lee Thomas

Tondeleo: As a non musician, I don't yet fully grasp why even poor American musicians will have several variations of the same instrument. I understand needing an electric guitar and a non electric. But many of these rural Americans will be as they say, "dirt poor" and still have several instruments.

Today's post is about Doc's No Name acoustic guitar. He has had it for years, and it seems to be a favourite with him. He will tell you about it and why he likes it so much:noname1

Doc: This here is my No Name Guitar. It's called a no name cause it ain't got no name on it. It had a name on it when it come out of the factory whenever it was made, but somebody somewhere took the name offin' the neck and took out the label inside. Most guitars gots a label inside and also the name on the neck. This one don't, as you can see. Had 'em but lost 'em.

Tondeleo: Why do you think it has no name, Doc? I mean why would someone want to take the brand name off their guitar?

Doc: I don't know. Different reasons, maybe. Maybe it got stole once, and the person sanded off the name and took out the label so it wouldn't look like it had been tooken.

Sometimes a poor man with a good guitar will take off the name so no one will rob him of it. If it looks like a cheap guitar, it is safer for him and for the guitar. There is some places you cain't take a good guitar, even a old one, cause someone will rob you for it.

Maybe they had other reasons. I don't know. But I didn't do it. You have to ask the man what done it. And he ain't me.

Tondeleo: What else can you tell me about this guitar?

noname2Doc: It's pretty old. Maybe 40 years or 50. It's been around a lot, you can tell that. I done had it a long time myself. Maybe 20 years or more.

It's got designs around the sound hole what I painted on and also designs around the bridge what I painted on. It looked too plain. I noname3wanted to make it mine, you know, special to me.

Under the strings I got a picture of me when I was about 19, playin' guitar. It's a old Kay guitar what belonged to my Grand Daddy. I don't know why I put that picture there. I just did. Maybe I didn't want to lose it. I lose things pretty easy.

Up on the head stock, I got a picture of Merle Travis. I put that their 'cause he was a inspiration to me to play better. I cain't play like him but I wish I could. So I got his picture up there to take with me wherever I play so he goes with me so, to speak.

noname6Tondeleo: How would you describe the sound of this guitar? What makes it special to you?

Doc: This guitar sounds like a old Gibson or old Martin. Those are are good guitars. If you had a Gibson model J-45 it would sound like this guitar. I cain't afford one of those, but I could afford this one cause it ain't got no name.

It has a good all round sound. It sounds right for mountain music, for blues and roots music. I use number 10 strings on it so I can bend the notes for blues. I just really like this here guitar!

I give a boy $20 for this guitar a long time ago so that makes it pretty special. The price was special. I ain't had no money at the time an' gave him my last twenty bucks for it - then went into Goldsboro - down North Carolina - and played out on the streets and passed the hat an' got my money back plus some money for food. It started taken care of me from day one. So that is special, too.

Plus, it is set up real good, too, Tondy.

Tondeleo: What's that mean? "Set up real good?"

Doc: It means the strings lie close to the neck so it is as easy to play like a electric. Also I put on a bone saddle down on that bridge and a graphite nut on it to make it sound better. Inside, it's got a good pickup for when I need to play it through a amp. I forget the brand name of it but is is a good one.

When I go into a place where they is other guitar players, they look at this no name guitar, then they look at me an' I can see them laughin' to themselves. These is the boys with the brand new shiny guitars what they bought with credit cards - they is sittin' around in their polo shirts and loafers, laughin' at the poor man. But when I play it, and they hear it either plugged into a amp or not, they stop laughin' an' start askin' about it, what kind it is! It is a No Name.

noname5You can see on the neck where I have played it down to the wood! Nothin' plays like a guitar that is full of vibes from bein' played by someone who loves it. And I love this here guitar.

Everybody what's ever played it loves it. It looks like it has been to Viet Nam and back. It might have, I don't know, but it is worn out in just the right way that it plays good and plays loud.

It may be ugly, but it is good to me, and I am good to it, Tondy! I take it out most every Friday and Saturday night.