Doc Stevens and the Cycle of Poverty Part 9: More on Pentecostalism & the Poor

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:11 PM Posted by Tondeleo Lee Thomas

Tondeleo: In the last posting, Doc was talking about religion among poor people in the US, particularly about Pentecostalism. Growing up poor, he has some particularly interesting insights into some of the Pentecostal sects that proliferate in America, and as I research it, apparently around the world.

Doc: OK, Tondy, so we was talkin' about churches. Like I said, I ain't been to many of them uptown type churches like 'Piscopal [Anglican] and Lutherns and such. Been to some Baptist, but mostly I always went back to Pentecostal. If I'm gonna go to a church, I want one where I know I'll be able to feel the Lord. I ain't goin' if he ain't there. You can usually feel the Lord in a Pentecostal church.

Tondeleo: And why is that, Doc?Doc Stevens 015

Doc: Well, Pentecostal churches is more lively and upbeat and happy. When a man is broke, beat down and feelin' low, he needs a lift. And he needs a lift that ain't gonna cost him money he aint got, and if he is tryin' to stay sober an' maybe make a new start, that ain't leave much. Plus, if he goes back to bars and drinkin', he's gonna end up in the same old mess, with fightin' and bein' arrested.

Church can be a good place to go, if it's lively enough. If the music is good, and the people are happy and the preacher is excited about what he's talkin' about and if the Holy Ghost is movin'.

Tondeleo: What do you mean by 'the Holy Ghost is moving?' How does he "move?" Where does he move to? How do you know if he is, what you call, "moving?"

Doc: He ain't move like in wigglin' or movin' from one place or another. It means if he is movin' on the people. Durin' the singin' he might start movin' and people'll start dancin' on their own, without thinkin' about it. They might commence to shoutin' or speakin' in tongues, or fallin' out. It gives you somethin' to look at, while you're listenin' to the music an' singin' along.

Tondelo: You'll have to explain some of those words, Doc. Speaking in tongues. Falling out. Most people won't know what that means...

Doc: Who can explain speakin' in tongues? I cain't. But suppose you felt so good you ain't had no words that could tell about it... but you HAD to say somethin', or you'd bust wide open? If you felt God so real all over your body. The words what come out of your mouth might not sound like English, they might not sound like no language on this earth, but you'd be speakin' what you was feelin' 'cause what you is feelin' ain't like nothin' on this earth. That's how I'd 'splain it.

Fallin' out's the same way. you might feel so happy it just overloads your circuits. You ever kiss a girl an' feel lightheaded, Tondy? Girls call it swoonin'. They feel in love an' like they is high on love. It's sorta like that. You might feel God all over you and feel so in love with God and life and other people and the whole world that you get lightheaded and fall out. I done it once. It ain't felt like nothin' on this earth. I was standin' there quiet, and felt the Holy Ghost movin' on me, an' I got lightheaded and kinda high feelin' an' next thing I know, I was lookin' up at people, who was kneelin' aroun' me an' praisin' the Lord. Ain't nothin' wrong with doin' that. You ever done that, Tondy?

Tondeleo: I can't say that I have, no. But I can see where there might be an appeal for someone who needed a lift and to feel significant, especially if he or she was disappointed in life, or felt that no one cares about them. To feel that God himself is touching you would be very affirming, I suppose.

Doc: What? Do you know how much of a sissy you sounded like right then? [Now Doc mimics me, with a horrid attempt at an English accent, in a John Cleese-like falsetto voice, while flopping his wrists around like two fish out of water - Tondeleo] "OOOhhh... I SUPPOSE it could be INFIRMING to a POOR PERSON who needs to FEEL MAGNIFICENT..." Tondy, ain't nobody too good for the Lord to touch them. Even not you.

I'm gonna find a revival and take you to it next time you is here an' there is one goin' on. It don't cost a dime, an' you won't wake up with a hangover the next mornin' . You gonna come an' sit there with me and find out what you been missin'. It ain't about bein' religious. It's about the Lord. Everybody needs the Lord, Tondy. I do. You do. Ain't nobody who don't.