Doc Stevens' Angry Song to a Cheatin' Friend

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:15 PM Posted by Tondeleo Lee Thomas

Tondeleo: When I was in the States in October, Doc was fit to be tied because he learned that a friend of his who lives more than a thousand miles away left his wife and kids for another woman. Doc and Marilyn were very close to the whole family and could not comprehend the madness of this man leaving his wife and kids.

When Doc gets touched emotionally, he has the gift of writing a song about it, and I have been there three times now when he was writing a song. The first two times, I was unaware, because something happened that I knew made him upset and he went back into the back room with one of Marilyn's notebooks and came out a few minutes later looking relaxed and said he just had to get something off his chest. He wasn't gone five minutes, but had written an entire song.

For this song, I was there. He got word from his friends' 11 year old boy about their Daddy leaving them for another woman. Doc was furious, upset and fit to be tied. Marilyn kept saying, "Oh, No" over and over again. Doc got Marilyn's notebook and a pen and started writing feverishly. He was writing as though taking dictation.

When he was finished, he shoved it at me across the table and said, "Here. Put that on my blob." I did do some spelling corrections.

A Song For A Cheatin' Piece of Trash

By Doc Stevens 2008

v1) You had a good life, and a good wife, but you threw them both away

your kids loved you more than you could know, but you just walked away

You left your home, your wife's alone, she cries both day and night, You've left it all I hope you fall - and pray you'll see the light

v2) A man can't hope for very much, in this short and hard life

but somehow life had smiled on you with a job a home a wife.

But all you had weren't good enough for a big man such as you,

You met that whore and walked out the door - I hope she humbles you

CHORUS:

You would not be happy with all the good things that you'd have

You lived your dream and fell for schemes of

a woman that was trash

We tried but you wouldn't listen, you just had to go your ways

Now lose it all and when you fall I'll laugh in your poor face

{Break}

Chorus again

v 4) Your children cry and wonder why their dad's left them alone

your girlfriend's kids are livin' large, now Big Man's in their home.

You're a hero now, in your own eyes with your brand new family

But the one you left was God's own best and before too long you'll see.

v5) I hope your wife can find the strength to fight for what is hers

you made a vow to love her so, for better or for worse

You're worse than what she took you for, I'm glad she'll soon be free

From a selfish fool who left his jewel for that W - H - O - R - E.

You would not be happy with all the good things that you'd have

You lived your dream and fell for schemes of

a woman that was trash

You got coke up your nose and blood on your clothes, and when you're moneys gone she will be too

So lose it all and when you fall I'll laugh in your poor face

Chorus and ending.

I have seen Doc write another song in the same time frame, about 5 minutes when he was touched, moved, sad or mad. In fact, as soon as he handed me this one to put on his blog site, he said he wasn't through yet, and wrote another one, on the same subject, and with more aggressive lyrics than I thought we ought to put on this blog. I am holding it for him for "later."

The tunes seem to come just as fast, and he sits down and plays them immediately afterwards. Now I am wondering which of the songs I have heard him sing are originals and which ones are just what he remembers of old country songs from his boyhood. But, this is one he specifically wanted on the "inner web, so that sorry excuse for a man can read it."