Ain't Roots Music what Kunta Kinty Sang?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:30 AM Posted by Tondeleo Lee Thomas

Doc Stevens 003 [Note from Tondeleo: I just HAD to post this little rambling by Doc. It is so typical of his ignorance and also of his humor, if you can call it that. I am never sure when he is being funny or being serious. This is from a phone call the other night before he went to the Bluegrass festival and got asked to leave.]

Doc: Tondy, they's all goin' on about what they call roots music . We ain't never called it that. Mostly it’s just old songs what everybody knows how to play an sing.

You know, Tondy I thought "roots music" was what Kunta Kinty sang. They kept callin' him Toby but he wanted to be called Kunta. I wouldn't wanna be called no Kunta, or Kinty. I'd hit a man if he called me that, but he wanted to be called Kunta an' that's his right. Yeh, I'd knock a lung loose in a man what called me that.

Anyhow's, that ain't what they call roots music. What they call roots music is what I play an' my daddy an' grandaddy played an what my friends play, but they think you cain't play it if you got a guitar an' amp. Only a cuestick guitar. No amp for guitar. Just their weak little puny office boy voices.