Another Brit Visits Doc and Marilyn - Part 2

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:38 PM Posted by Tondeleo Lee Thomas
Tondeleo: As I mentioned in the last posting, my friend and fellow Brit, Cyril Baptist came to stay with Doc and Marilyn for a few weeks at the end of the Summer. Cyril and I have been mates for yonks, and he has always wanted to come to the States and meet the characters that I tell him about. I have been regaling him with my Doc and Marilyn stories for ages. This past Summer he got to fulfill a dream by coming to the States and actually staying with Doc and Marilyn. Actually more with Doc, because Marilyn is spending most of her time on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and is only in Southern Maryland when they are playing or just because she wants a visit. Or, because Doc guilts her into visiting. 

Here are some more of Doc's reflections on Cyril's visit. These are transcribed from my digital recording.

Tonedeleo: So, Doc, you and Marilyn bought some Camo based outfits and ball caps for Cyril for him to wear while he was here. Why exactly was that?

Doc: Well, Tondy, when you got a visitor you're kind of 'sponsible for they's well bein'. It wouldn't been right to have him hangin' out some of the places where we hang out dressed like an English office boy. People woulda picked on him for sure.

Tondeleo: Weren't you at all concerned that it could have hurt his feelings, making him wear clothes other than the ones he brought? I mean, it's a bit brash, you know. 

Doc: I ain't sure 'bout no brash. But I was more interested in it coulda hurt him more than in his feelin's if you know what I mean. They's guys what woulda first picked on him for how he talked - like a Brit, like you - and then for how he woulda 'sponded when they talked to him and then for how he dressed. You gotta do what you can to help someone.

Tondeleo: I do know that I had a hard time my first visit or two with some of your rural friends due to me being a bit more... umm... cultured than some of them. And I had to learn to just ignore it when they would tall me I talked girly. In fact YOU used to tell me you liked the girly way I talked, Doc! Remember that?

Doc: Sure I remember that! Guess why I said you talked girly, Tondy?  But no, really, they's people here what will pick on someone else whose 'merican 'cause of how they talk. 'Specially down south. They ain't like the way Yankees tall and will let you know it. Me an' Marilyn wanted to make sure Cyril had a good time while he was here.

Plus we ain't made him dress normal everywhere we took him. Like some of the churches we took him to play in he just wore his English clothes but with jeans and tennis shoes [plimsoles]. He just had to dress normal in the places when we took him out where people is more sensitive to how you look. You ain't wanna go somewhere dressed like you think you're better than them.

He got to understand it once he'd been here a while. But he wouldn't take even one stitch of them clothes back to your country when he went home! He said people would either laugh at him or beat him up for dressin' regular like we do here. Well, neither me or Marilyn or no one in the band wants to go to England if you get picked on for wearin' camo.

Tondeleo: I don't blame you, Doc. I mean, who would want to go to a country where you can't where your own clothes?

Doc: That's exactly what I'm talkin' about. I ain't goin'.