Street Musicians: Doc Stevens on Busking, Street Performance and Making Money - Part Three

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:12 PM Posted by Tondeleo Lee Thomas

Doc Stevens 066 Tondeleo: I've gathered together some of Doc's experiences while performing as a street musician over the years. Unlike many who are street performers, Doc is not a) homeless or psycho; b) an alcoholic, or drug addict; c) someone trying to just have fun playing. d) someone hoping to be "discovered."

He plays on the streets for money if he has a bill he can't pay. He also will play in the streets , to snare an extra gig or two if he is in a strange city and wants to prolong his time there.

Clearly, he is not well educated in the traditional sense of the word, but Doc does have a basic business sense and a very keen sense of survival, as you can tell from his previous posts on not just street performance but also basic self defense and impromptu weapons.

Here are some excerpts from a conversation where we were talking about making money while performing on the street (which we call "busking" in the U.K.). I added the bold headings.

Why are you singing in the streets is important. Doc: Like I said, Tondy, you have to have a reason to be out there that's at least a little inspirin'. Your emotions is like a magnet. You gotta have emotions about what it is you want.

Playin' guitar and singin' as such aint that inspirin'. I can go down to a nursin' home an' play for free. Me and Marilyn does that when we ain't needin' the money and we have some time. When her grandmama on her mother's side was in a nursin' home down Virginia, we'd go see her an' then play a couple sets in the big activity room there. We aint need to go out on the streets just to get a audience.

Goin' out on the streets is a hassle, an' for us, it means travel to DC if we're doin' it from home. That's more than a hour, an' more'n that if we got to catch a ride to Bryans Road which is 40 minutes an' then catch the W-19 bus, which is 15 minutes wait, and then to the Metro which is another 25 minutes and then another 20 minutes. Plus we gotta pay to do that, an then we have the same thing to get back home and have to call Bruce or someone for a ride! So we BETTER make some money out there! We aint goin out thDoc Stevens 002ere for no $50.

Playin on the street for us is about making a few dollars and gettin' more gigs, even if it is just to come play at a local bar or club for $50 or $100. So I keep that in mind. I have to be entertainin' and lively and funny, but not crazy enough that a club owner will think I'm too crazy to have in his place. It's a ACT, not a fact, Tondy.

No Fun, No Mon. Pullin' money outta peoples' pockets is harder than you think. You won't make any money sitting on a chair and singing like a wooden headed dress dummy, with a box or open case at your feet. A lot of street musicians does that and then cry that there aint no money comin' in.

Look at the next one you see. Mostly sittin' on a chair with a box or open case and singing into space. Even folks what sings and plays like angels! Well, aint no money gonna fall out of space, or outta heaven, I can tell you that!

But you cain't be too wild an' scare people off. If they think you are a crazy drunk or druggie, you aint gonna make no money even if you are fun to watch. You'll scare 'em off cause they aint want to get too close to you.

"Here is a secret: People got money.

If you want money, you gotta have people. Period."

Improvising to get food and money. What I do is sometimes sit, sometimes stand, dependin' on the place I am at. I make good eye contact with the people and sometimes look 'em in the eye as they come toward me an' if I can I will sing about them as they come up to pass me by like... "Hey pretty lady in the bull ridin' t shirt... I know you gonna help a poor man eat... I KNOW you gonna reach down deep in your pocket an' give him at least a dollar... A WOMAN CUTE AS YOU AN' KINDHEARTED TOO..." I'll fit that right into the song, or will kind of chant it, in time to the song. If I do that an' smile an' look at the other people around, she will maybe half the time put in a 1 or a $5.

I have did that an' when I get hungry if a hot dog vendor is near sometimes I can sing or chant for "someone to bring the poor guitar man a footlong with sauerkraut and pretty soon!" Somebody is gonna do it, an' then I sing a verse about 'em as a thank you. It sets you apart from the wooden heads that feels embarrassed 'bout bein' out there or who ignore the people. You gotta interact and play with the people if you wanna make money.

Here is a secret: People got money. If you want money, you gotta have people. Period.

Priming the pump: I use different ways to get people to give money. Sometimes I make a cardboard sign what says: "Give this man some money and get him off the streets." and put that over my collection box. We gotta a draw string bag with a bicycle cable lock on it what is fastened to Marilyn's wrist. She will straight out approach people and say, "Give some money so I can get Uncle Doc to be quiet so we can go home. Even a couple of dollars... anything!"

Security. Like I said, our drawstring bag gots a cable lock on it. I got another with a pair of handcuffs on it, what goes to me or Marilyn. She carries pepper spray, a small squeeze bottle of ammonia and also a knife! And she bites! Bites like a Chihuahua, takin' bites of skin outta their arm. Bite an' pull! Bite an' pull!

I can take pretty good care of myself, and got that air about me. IDoc Stevens Weapon 10 Doc Stevens Neck Knife 2weigh a bit over 200 pounds. I usually got a couple of back up tools if I need them. A studded belt or dog collar is a good one. I aint givin' away no secrets here. But there is a lot more of legal self defense tools what you can carry. They already been on this blob [blog] where I talk about takin' care of yourself.

One collection box I use has a metal handle and a dog leash fastened to it, so I aint gotta worry 'bout someone come runnin' up and scoop it up an' steel it. The handle of the leash goes 'round my ankle, so if they grab my money box, they gotta drag me along with it, an' they sure aint want that!